Construction began on Montpelier in 1764 by James Madison's father.
The duPont family doubled the house size mostly between 1901-1903.
The restoration of James Madison's Montpelier took place from January 2004 to
September 2008 and involved removal of the additions the duPonts had made to the building.
The architectural salvage was kept in storage until April 2011, at which time it was brought to
Salvagewrights Ltd. to be sold on consignment.
Restoration of Montpelier: http://www.montpelier.org/restore/index.php
|some of the duPont era items salvaged and for sale at Salvagewrights Ltd. :
around 100 interior doors
safe - SOLD
Mrs. Scott's wallpaper chest - SOLD
sunburst transom - SOLD
hood for arched doorway - SOLD
ironing table - SOLD